Saturday Seven: First Lines

Today, I've chosen the first lines from the first seven books that is on my "TBR" list... I have a whole shelf of them on my bookcase (not to mention the ones on my Nook!) Maybe one day, I'll get a chance to read them all.

This is an old book that I found on a used book sale - Agatha Christie's Murder at Hazelmoor. It's one I'd not read before, so the price was write and it's now sitting waiting for the time I have the chance to read it. "Major Burnaby dew on his gum boots, buttoned his overcoat collar around his neck, took from a shelf near the door a hurricane lantern, and cautiously opened the front door of his little bungalow and peered out."

The second book on my shelf is a fantasy, book one of The Isles of Glory, The Aware by Glenda Larke. I don't remember where I got this book, but it was the first book of a fantasy and sounded wonderful. "So you want to know what the Isles of Glory were like back then, eh?"

The next book is also a fantasy and the first book of a series (I love finding first books of new fantasy series--I may never buy the second book, but the first book is like a treasure chest just waiting to be opened. You never know if it's going to be empty or filled with jewels.) This one is Spellbound, the first book in the Shandril's Saga series by Ed Greenwood: "It was a good inn, but sometimes Shandril hated it -- and this was one of those times."

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman was the fourth book on my shelf (as you can see, they aren't arranged by any rhyme or reason. This is another book I picked up somewhere because I liked the cover and back blurb. "The lake in my dreams is always frozen."

The fifth book on my shelf is a fantasy and part of a series, but it's not the first book. However, from the author's note, it's the type of series where every book is a standalone, so I thought I would take a chance on it. The cover was magnificent - Cast in Chaos from The Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara. "The Halls of Law occupied real estate that the merchants' guild salivated over every time discussion about tax laws came up, and for that reason, if no other, Private Kaylin Neya was proud to work in them."

The sixth book is Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst. As with the others, I don't have a clear recollection of where I obtained the book. "By the sixth leg of the game, we have accumulated the following objects: a ski pole, a bishop from a crystal chess set, a sheet of rice paper, a trilobite fossil, an aviator's helmet, and a live parrot."

The seventh book on the shelf is Rose's Garden by Carrie Brown. "The angel appeared on Paradise Hill the night of the fall equinox, light and dark dividing evenly over the world."

And there you have it... seven books of unknown purchase locations and seven first lines. What do you think?

Comments

  1. Wow, that is a fantastic first sentence for The Isles of Glory, The Aware. It made me feel like I was sitting and listening to one of my grandparents tell a story about something that happened a long time ago. :)

    This is my Saturday Seven post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a vast array of books and genres--shows that you're an eclectic reader, for certain. Good luck getting to them some day soon!

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great help to all of us. We can't all look at all of the books in the world and we all read different genres (thank goodness). Taking the time to do what you posted gives us all a chance to hear about more books. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually say 'I live under a rock' when I know, or recognize absolutely, nothing about the topic at hand. After reading a bunch of Saturday 7 posts, I realize I am a book snob - I only like romance books. So, I guess you could say I live under a 'love rock'.
    Your list of books is impressively varied. Thanks for an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all sound fantastic-- And make me want to work harder on my own first lines. Thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment